Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kona trip with parents

My parents came to visit me for 11 days. It was quite exhausting to me 'cause my dad arrived in bad shape, almost dead on arrival. Prior to the departure I kept asking my mom if he was doing good. The answer was always good so I presumed everything was okay.

Upon greeting them at the airport, I found something was wrong with my dad. He seemed out of it, not responding to my talking to him. The flight drained him utterly. Suddenly his health became No.1 priority.

It took one full day for him to feel better. Still, he could only walk at a much slower pace, claiming his feet hurt. Getting in and out of the car was an issue for him as well. A friend of mine suggested we try out what she's got for her handicapped husband: a wheelchair, walker and a quad cane. My dad's pick was the cane.

Anyway, we took the north route to go around the island, with one night stay in Kona, going down south to get back home the second day, always facing the ocean on our right.


View Larger Map



From our hotel on the Kona bay.


One of the coffee farms we visited. This one is run by a Japanese coffee chain and very well maintained with lots of fruit trees and flowers on the premises. There is an inter-island cruise ship in the back. Looks bigger than a medium sized hotel.


I'd love a mango tree in my yard, but seeing how tall they are when fully matured I just have to give up.

Jade vine growing on a trelis.

Half-sized avocados. Taken somewhere along Hwy 11 on the way to Captain Cook.

The Painted Church near Captain Cook.

Honu (sea turtle) resting on Black Sand Beach in Punaluu.

Mangoes. No fruits left behind where I'm concerned. I'm actually allergic to mangoes, but these didn't do me a thing. I'm thinking maybe it's the pesticide they spray that I respond to?


2 comments:

hae said...

I hope your parents are enjoying their trip and your father feels better.

My father "claims" that he can come and visit me anytime, but the rest of family don't agree with him. We have no idea where he got his confidence... LOL..

Hiro said...

This might sound strange, but I stopped listening to my parents at about 13. No, it's not the same old teenage rebelling. They just didn't have much insight into what i was interested in. Books, movies, TV, and radio had answers to most of my questions. It'd be much easier to understand each other if I was adopted. But I am not. It's like somebody told me to stay with these people until I was ready to fend for myself. I like them just as much as I would any good people. I don't know why they keep asking more from me.

No wonder I have no kids?